Facebook iconLinkedin iconTwitter icon
AVAX 24-hour price chart (CoinDesk)
Join the most important conversation in crypto and Web3 taking place in Austin, Texas, April 26-28.Secure Your SeatFacebook iconLinkedin iconTwitter iconJoin the most important conversation in crypto and Web3 taking place in Austin, Texas, April 26-28.Secure Your Seat
This article originally appeared in First Mover, CoinDesk’s daily newsletter putting the latest moves in crypto markets in context. Subscribe to get it in your inbox every day.
Latest Prices CoinDesk Market Index (CMI) 1,132 +49.7 ▲ 4.6% Bitcoin (BTC) $23,798 +698.8 ▲ 3.0% Ethereum (ETH) $1,673 +88.6 ▲ 5.6% S&P 500 futures 4,153.50 +21.3 ▲ 0.5% FTSE 100 7,812.15 +51.0 ▲ 0.7% Treasury Yield 10 Years 3.4% ▼ 0.1 BTC/ETH prices per CoinDesk Indices, as of 7 a.m. ET (11 a.m. UTC) Top Stories
Layer 1 Avalanche’s AVAX rallied 15% on Thursday following the protocol’s network update called “Banff 8” that went live. AVAX also witnessed a strong uptick over January, posting gains of 80%. The token was trading at around $22 at the time of writing. The protocol has also seen a number of announcements this week with IntainMarkets, a platform for trading tokenized asset-backed securities building as an Avalanche subnet and decentralized exchange, Dexalot, also launching as a subnet.
Bankruptcy-focused investment firm Cherokee Acquisitions has started offering what it calls “put options” to crypto investors to protect their funds from potential bankruptcy of major exchanges like Binance, Coinbase and Kraken, CoinDesk learned Wednesday from the company. The put options will protect account holders’ deposits on the above listed exchanges, paying back 100% of the assets in the account if the exchange files for bankruptcy protection within the contract period.
Blockchain analytics company Chainalysis is cutting headcount as it reorganizes to adjust to challenges in the crypto market. The New York-based firm, which specializes in analyzing and tracking crypto transactions for risk-management purposes, said the reorganization will primarily affect its “go-to-market” team. The cuts will affect less than 5% of Chainalysis’ staff, the company said. The firm said it employs over 900 people, meaning the cuts would amount to 40-50 jobs.
Chart of the Day
- The chart compare the fed funds rate, the Federal Reserve’s benchmark borrowing cost, with the U.S. core personal consumption expenditure (PCE) from 2000 to date.
- The Fed raised rates by 25 basis points on Wednesday, lifting the borrowing cost above the core PCE, or core inflation, for the first time since 2019.
- It shows the central bank has moved closer to a move away from liquidity tightening that roiled the crypto market last year.
- Historically, borrowing cost has been 6% points above core PCE when the Fed cuts rates.
– Omkar Godbole
- Alameda Research Wallet Receives $6M From Bitfinex Hot Wallet
- Facebook Parent Meta’s Metaverse Division Lost $13.7B in 2022 Crypto
- Markets Analysis: A Wave of Economic Data Rises on Wednesday With Fed Rate Decision
Learn more about Consensus 2023, CoinDesk’s longest-running and most influential event that brings together all sides of crypto, blockchain and Web3. Head to consensus.coindesk.com to register and buy your pass now.
Trending1PolicyIndia Reveals IMF Is Working With G-20 for Crypto RegulationsFeb 3, 20232BusinessJack Dorsey-Based Social Network Nostr Gets Damus App Banned From China App StoreFeb 3, 20233PolicyAustralia Releases Token Mapping Consultation Paper, Plans to Reveal Crypto Rule Framework in 2023Feb 3, 20234BusinessLogan Paul Named in Proposed Class Action Suit for CryptoZoo ‘Rug Pull’ After CoffeeZilla ExposeFeb 3, 2023